Thursday, May 3, 2012

Wow it's been so long since my last post...So many things happened but I didn't feel like writing...I had a lot of thoughts to share but couldn't make myself to sit down and write..
Today I'm going to my first ever French class... Everyone who knows me just a little bit is aware of of my love to this language, and everything French...films, music, style, food..I remember back in 2008 when I was in Paris  I couldn't believe my eyes that I made it here and I see it all in real...To tell the truth I didn't see everything in detail there, it was more of an express fast tour of Paris in 1 week. I went up to the Eiffel Tower though :P Very beautiful view I must say :) I would really want to go back to Paris with Miika and be able to say some words in French and explore the hidden beauties of Paris...
Ok so back to London... I just love being there and even though I've seen probably only little percentage of this city I'm absolutely in love. Everytime I go to London I can't hide the huge smile on my face... Zahra came from Notthingam and we spent absolutely fantastic day together..She was so nice to give me a Bialetti espresso maker as a present. I must confess I'm a little addicted to coffee.. I have to drink at least 1 cup of coffee with milk every day. I know it's bad but I can't help myself.. I don't drink instant coffee unless I have to... In Istanbul we used to make coffee with my flatmate's vintage Krups coffee maker. I had a big black Starbucks mug that I really miss a lot. I'm hoping he still has it and I can bring it here. Every time I make coffee now I remember my flatmate to whom I couldn't even say proper goodbye when I left Istanbul....anyway the smell of fresh coffee mesmerizes me each time I am making coffee with bialetti....It was different with Zahra than wandering around in London with Miika, we did all the girly things I wanted to do for a long time like checking out some shops in London.. She took me to this royal family's grocery shop Fortnum and Mason.  Another posh groceries store like Harrods, Selfridges...I liked their selection of loose tea.. In England it's a bit hard to find loose tea, it seems like everyone drinks tea in teabags. By the way Twinings here is a huge disappointment. Back in Istanbul Twining tea was a luxury sold for 10-12 TL a box in posh supermarkets like Macrocenter. I was happy to buy it here for normal prices but I find their Earl Grey pretty awful...
On Monday I'm going to visit Zahra in Nottingham. I can't wait :)
I think after trying out all the recipes that I bookmarked while my 6 months in Baku I decided to give up. First of all my reduced sugar/butter whole wheat flour baking sometimes turned out disastrous like the zebra cake. Even though I try to bake healthy I think baking can't be 100% healthy, also after trying my beige trousers that I bought from Zara last summer and seeing how tight they are now I got upset. ah those 6 months of fatty eating in Baku unfortunately did their job :( Last Saturday we bought running shoes, clothes for me so I started running 2.5 miles in the green field close to our house. I get so inspired by looking at all the beautiful posts in food blogs. But usually can't make it as pretty as theirs :(
I met with Tuba a girl who studied with me in ITU and stayed at the same dorm. She took me to a vegetarian restaurant in Covent Garden called Food for Thought. If you are ever in that area I highly recommend to check out that restaurant. Think a big plate full of veggies, yuuuum! I absolutely loved it. She also showed me a Nordic Bakery in Soho and last Saturday I went there with Miika. We tried finnish karjalan piirakkas and blueberry bun with delicious cappucinos.We are definitely going there again. Here is the photo for you.
I think Scandinavian/Finnish style is very simple but at the same time stylish and appealing to me. The down side is that everything from the North comes up with such expensive prices.
Enough of writing for now....I'll come back with more stuff soon!


2 comments:

  1. absolutely the same shit with the loose tea in berlin.. the only way is to try emigrant shops.
    and their earl grey is not our lovely earl grey :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way, try Whittards tea shop, they are relatively cheap, very tasty and there is pretty big choice of the loose tea.

    ReplyDelete