Wednesday, March 14, 2012

My dear readers! Sorry for not writing but most of you already know that I got the fiancee visa. I still can't believe that we did it, that we won. I'm really happy at the same time excited, nervous. I can't really describe what I am feeling. On Sunday at 6 a.m. I'm leaving Baku and going for a new life, new beginning with my dear Miika. After I went to study in Turkey and came here only for short periods I felt like I don't belong here at all, I felt like an "alien". At the same time I was foreign in Turkey. As another blogger says "foreign here, foreign there, foreign everywhere". It is probably my destiny to feel foreign throughout my life. It started when I went to US as an exchange student when I was 15 and continues till now. In Turkey it was sometimes annoying because while doing paperwork, dealing with bureaucracy it was usually a pain. Most of the times they didn't know the procedures for foreign nationals, I felt like I'm the only one without Turkish passport in this 70 million country. Other than that it was easy to become friends, to integrate in Turkish society since the language, the culture, mentality is pretty similar. After few years I almost felt like at home. In fact I feel much more comfortable in Turkey than I am here. I'm nervous about the new life but at the same time really excited. I'm scared of doing, saying something wrong, but I hope it all comes with time. I think it would have been much harder if I was alone, but I have the most caring, loving, supportive fiancee in the whole world my Mikushka :) I know I don't speak like a native speaker but I'm not so bad and I believe after a while my English will improve and it won't be a problem. When I went to US I couldn't really understand people with their strong American accent but by the end of my exchange year my cousin told me I picked up the accent pretty quick. The only real problem I'll face is my name. Unfortunately while choosing a name for me my mum didn't think that I'll have kind of "international" life. I'm not even going to start telling you what Americans used to call me. At the end I decided to introduce myself as Meka (my childhood nickname). Miika taught me an international phonetic alphabet and that is what I need to use while spelling my name. In Turkey they use Turkish city names for spelling. So for those of you unfamiliar with this alphabet my name would be Mike- Echo-Hotel- Romeo- India- Bravo- Alpha-November. By the way my kids are definitely going to have short, easy pronounced names. Since Miika calls me Mehri (I really like it) probably in England I'll introduce myself as Mehri, shorter and easier. Miika's little brother calls me Marziban, like marzipan hahaha :)) I think it's very sweet since I love marzipan :) The good thing about my name is that it has a  meaning which is kind and nice in Persian.
I'm really grateful to the British Embassy in Baku for processing my application in exactly 1 month. I applied on February 7th and my visa is valid from March 7th.
I would like to thank Miika's parents, brothers, his grandparents and godparents for supporting us. It really meant so much to me. Secondly  my great friends who wrote to me, asked about the application, supported me and gave me strength. My dear mother who was worried about me all the time, and helped me as much as she could. I want to thank Fidan who came with me to the embassy, without her this waiting period would have been much harder for me. I wish her to get her German visa asap and join her husband. I know how hard it is to wait and how worried she is. At the end I want to thank my beloved fiancee Miika, without his support, care and patience this could never be done.
I used to think I'm unlucky because I got so many rejections lately. The biggest of them was the work permit rejection for Ford. Now this all proved that whatever happens, happens for a good reason. I'm grateful for everything that happened. I had great plans that I'll work in Ford, rent my own place and  have a cat. But I'd be completely alone and sad. I hope I'll find a job in England, maybe not the best one at first, but after some time I believe I'll do good.
I want to continue writing this blog while I'm in England. I'll write my impressions, thoughts and memories. 

1 comment: